Chasing HMRC

HMRC Contact Numbers

HMRC are becoming increasingly involved in mortgage applications. The now near universal request for the self-employed to provide SA302s, and the increasingly common practice of lenders checking PAYE income with the tax office, can cause delays with your mortgage application.

So how do you get in touch with HMRC if you want to chivvy them along?

Main contact page for Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

HMRC Contacts page

On this contacts page (link above) you will find listed the main telephone number of 0300 200 3300.
This is manned 12 hours a day Monday to Friday (8:00am to 8:00pm) and from 8:00am till 4:00pm on Saturday.

Always have your National Insurance Number to hand and your unique Tax Payer Reference if possible.

Callers from outside of the UK can use +44 135 535 9022.
The textphone number for the hearing or speech impaired is 0300 200 3319

Emailing Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

You can email HMRC  to advise them about a change of name or address or to tell them that your current tax code is wrong. It is perhaps best not to send anything too complex or urgent through this route as without a contact name, emails can get lost or not dealt with.

Writing to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs

HMRC quote the best address as:

HM Revenue & Customs
Pay As You Earn
PO Box 1970
L75 1WX

Again – quote your NI number in all correspondence (for obvious reasons do not write with an urgent enquiry).

Where’s my Reply?

HMRC now have a ‘Where’s my Reply’ service which gives you a date on which you can expect a reply based on their current service standards. (Not a date specific to your case – this is a guide only)

HMRC Where’s My Reply

The actual link is a bit tricky to find – you first have to click on the query type under the ‘Get Started’ heading. You will then find a ‘Start using Where’s My Reply?’ link.

The tool is a little disappointing as, for example, we could not see an option for checking how long it takes for an SA302 request to be processed.

Whatever your need to contact HMRC  – good luck with it.

Further information on Self Employed Mortgages

share this content